Friday, December 2, 2011

Statesville Chair Makeover

Oh sweet Statesville Chairs how I love thee!  I got a pair of these beauties from my bosses best friend, Evelyn, who was downsizing on many furniture pieces. Major score. I must admit that my visit was only intended for a kitchen table and chairs but I ended up walking out with much more. I got two chairs or "butacas" as she referred to them, place mats, wine glasses, small glass plates, coffee cups, breakable deco, and cute art pieces.

{Before you continue know this is the longest blog in blogosphere.}

Here are the before pictures. The chairs were actually quite beautiful as they are pictured. But they didn't mesh well with my stuff. And so the makeover, transformation, refurbish whatever you wanna' call it begins.

Photobucket  Photobucket
{sorry about the crappy poor quality pictures these were taken with my crapberry blackberry.}




Let me summarize what has been done:

- Removed upholstery and piping (?) and used as template for new look
- Sanded chair
- Spray painted chair
- Cut templates for new upholstery using none other than a shower curtain!
{Oh yes I did! }

Sounds easy right? Well honey it was labor intensive and time consuming. Did I mention this was my first reupholstering attempt? Because it was ...

Onto the upholstery part this took me a while because I kept putting it off.
"Oh the hard work this entailed."

This is the shower curtain I found. It is the perfect shade of blue and just enough texture to make me happy.


Since the curtain has stitching I had to ensure the back and front pieces were centered.
Can you see the "X"?

Once that part was perfectly stapled I added a piece of cardboard to make the back a little sturdy. {Be careful how you hold your stapler. I wasn't and the staples pierced the back and consequently made little holes that were {still are} visible. aarrrggg! I had to remove the entire thing and start over. I was beyond livid at myself so I decided to take a break! BIG time. And that's exactly what I did -- chilled for a while.}

I must add that my darling Oso was with me all day long what a trooper! How can I not love this little guy?! It is simple not possible.
I didn't want him napping on the ground so I took my new panel and let him sleep on it. I can always wash it again. Then I left to sit in the front porch and look who tagged along...

"Oso, didn't I just leave you sleeping in the yard?"

Mr. Oso didn't want to lose sight of me. What a cutie!

Alright onto the project before this post gets longer than it already is...

I started the 're-stapling' process again with caution this time.

This is how the backrest looks. {Darn I cut off the top of the chair.}

Next I hot glued the piping which finalized this part of the chair transformation.

{As you can see I had already started working on the seat.}


And the after -- by far my favorite part of this project!    


Did you see the pillow case? I made it from a window panel. I'm still not done with it though I am going to add rosettes. And did you notice I finally painted my living room walls from blue to this awesome light color?!  No more sky blue living room any more! I still don't know why in God's green earth my landlord painted it that color. I tell you what when I told him to check out my re-done living room he flipped out! He loved it.

Now I have to convince him to do something about that floor. Its horrible and I hate it.
Moving right along...

I think the piping could have been a little better. However, considering this was my first attempt I think I did pretty good.  Now I just have to complete the second chair. {sigh}

{This post is dedicated to Evelyn who was called home. I will be taking good care of your butacas.}

Until the next post,
LEA Lumiere

1 comment:

  1. For your first attempt you did a darn good job. Can't believe you have to do a second chair as well! I would be too lazy to even complete the second chair haha. Good job!


Let me know what you think about my post. I love reading your comments.